Choosing a nursing home for a loved one is one of the biggest decisions you’ll ever make. Not only does it impact this person, as it’s where they’ll live, but it can do the same to you and other members of your family.
So, with all this in mind, you want to choose the right nursing home the first time around. Despite the fact that many of these facilities appear the same on the surface, you’ll soon find that there are many differences.
Answer these questions to ensure a decision that will benefit your loved one now and in the future:
- What is your loved one looking for in a nursing home?
- Are you familiar with all of the features and amenities provided by the nursing home?
- Have you discussed pricing with the nursing homes on your short list?
- Are you familiar with the many ways that your loved one can pay for a nursing home stay?
- Are you okay with the location? Is it close to your home and/or place of employment?
- Does the facility have a good safety record?
- What do you see, smell, and hear when you visit the nursing home?
- What is the staff to patient ratio?
- What types of activities are available for residents to partake in?
- What types of reviews have you read online?
These are the types of questions you can answer as you attempt to choose the right nursing home for a loved one. As you address these, don’t be surprised if many others move to the forefront, all of which you’ll want to answer in a timely manner.
While it’s your goal to assist your loved one in making a sound and informed decision, keep in mind that they’re ultimately the person who has to live at the facility. So, you want to give them the final say on where they stay.
If you require any assistance with long term care or incapacity planning, contact us for advice and guidance. We can answer your questions pertaining to nursing home care, with a focus on making payment arrangements that work. Don’t hesitate to lean on us during this complex time in your life.