Continuing Care Retirement Communities, CCRC’s, are an excellent solution to the ongoing dilemma of providing the proper living arrangements to senior citizens as their needs change. CCRC’s offer several levels of living options, assistance and health care for seniors all on one ‘campus’. They normally offer two or more of the following living arrangements within their community:
- Independent living for residents who require no assistance, normally in lower maintenance housing such as one level homes, apartments or townhomes. Amenities such as swimming pools and fitness facilities are shared as they are in many community settings.
- Assisted living facilities for those who require some assistance with their normal activities of daily living. Meals are often provided in a group setting while the rooms or apartments offer small or limited kitchen space.
- Nursing home facilities for those who need short and long term care when additional assistance or medical care is necessary; and
- An Alzheimer’s unit or memory care facility offering 24 hour assistance and care.
Residents normally move into CCRC’s as an independent living resident. As more assistance becomes necessary, they are able to transfer to assisted living, or in a medical emergency, the short or long term care facility. As the senior citizens’ needs begin to change, they have the peace of mind that living options are available without having to relocate.
Many CCRC’s are managed by not-for-profit institutions. The advantage of the non-profit status is that profit is reinvested within the community rather than distributed to individuals or investors. Not only does this keep the community updated and well kept, but it may allow the CCRC’s to offer living options to a resident who outlives their assets.
CCRC’s normally charge an entrance fee and a monthly fee to residents. One distinct financial advantage of CCRC’s is that a percentage of the entrance fee and monthly fee is often tax deductible as a medical expense, making these comprehensive living arrangements even more attractive as a senior living solution.
- Important Questions Related to Incapacity Planning - October 8, 2021
- Here’s What an Estate Planning Attorney Can Do For You - October 5, 2021
- Organizing Your Online Affairs - September 22, 2021