It doesn’t matter if you’re comparing nursing homes for yourself or a loved one, nothing changes the fact that you want to make the right decision. When you’re confident in your choice, it’s much easier to sleep well at night.
With so many nursing home facilities to choose from, it’s easy to fall into the trap of believing that they’re all basically the same. However, if you take this approach, you could make a decision you regret.
The best way to narrow your options is to ask every nursing home on your short list the same questions. Here are a few that you can start with:
- Does your nursing home have services that match my needs?
- Can you explain the cost structure of receiving care at your facility?
- What types of activities are available to residents?
- What is your safety record? Can you explain the steps you take to keep residents safe at all times?
- What are the visiting hours?
It’s these types of questions that will provide you with more information on the facility, while also leading you toward other points of interest.
When it comes time to ask these questions, simply call the nursing home and tell them that you’re interested in learning more. The receptionist will connect you with an individual who can answer your questions, provide more information, and help you with the process should you decide to move forward.
Tip: while you can learn a lot about a nursing home by simply asking questions, don’t make a final decision until you visit in person. This is when you’ll really learn more about the facility.
If you’ve yet to consider how to implement long-term care into your estate plan, contact us for advice and guidance in doing so. Regardless of your age, it’s never too soon to think about this. With the right approach, you’ll find yourself in better position should you require nursing home care in the future.
- Important Questions Related to Incapacity Planning - October 8, 2021
- Here’s What an Estate Planning Attorney Can Do For You - October 5, 2021
- Organizing Your Online Affairs - September 22, 2021